Home » Maryland Historical Magazine Volume 16 by Maryland Historical Society
Maryland Historical Magazine Volume 16 Maryland Historical Society

Maryland Historical Magazine Volume 16

Maryland Historical Society

Published September 12th 2013
ISBN : 9781230233192
Paperback
172 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1921 edition. Excerpt: ... maryland historicalMoreThis historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1921 edition. Excerpt: ... maryland historical magazine Vol. xvi. september, 1921. No. 3 the baltimore county garrison and the old garrison roads William B. Mas Ye Past ii Theory Of The Seneca Indian Road When we try to trace the course of the rangers road which ran west from the Garrison to the Great Falls of Patapsco River, we have to depend solely on Captain John Oldtons own description of this road- for, so far as this author is aware, there exists, outside of the captains two reports, not a single substantial clue in the old records which might serve to guide us. We can only note the fact of the existence, more than forty years after the date of Captain Oldtons reports, of a road called The Soldiers Road, without being able to identify it with any modern road. An order of the Baltimore County Court, dated in August, 1740, directs that a road be cleared from John Pacas quarter to Colonel William Hammonds quarter and there to intersect the Soldiers Road and to keep the top of the ridge from John Bakers until it intersects the said road from Hammonds quarter. (Baltimore County Court Proceedings, Liber T. R. No. 2 (?), 1739-1740, f. 293.) Captain Oldtons two reports agree in attributing to this garrison road a length of twenty miles. The earliest report (1696) Jak 31 34 reads: From the Garrison to a Cabin between Judwins Falls (Gwinns Falls) and the main falls of Patapsco a west course 10 miles, then a west course to the main falls of Patapsco 10 miles more. In the second report (1697) the road to Patapsco Falls is thus described: ffrom our Garrison to Potapsco 20 miles, thus to Guins fal